THUNDER BAY – NEWS – Jahliel Kareem SMART, a Brampton man faces drug-trafficking and firearm charges after the Tuesday afternoon search of a north-side home led to the seizure of $175,000 worth of drugs and a handgun.
Thunder Bay Police Service officers with the Emergency Task Unit executed a search warrant at a residential address in the zero-to-100 block of College Street just before 3 pm on Tuesday, August 9, 2022.
The warrant was obtained as a result of an ongoing investigation by members of the TBPS’s Intelligence Unit into drug trafficking activity at that address.
Police located and arrested a Brampton man. He was transported to the TBPS headquarters at 1200 Balmoral Street.
A search of the home led to the seizure of a quantity of suspected cocaine, crack cocaine, fentanyl, a handgun, and ammunition. Paraphernalia consistent with drug trafficking was also located and seized.
The total estimated street value of drugs seized totalled more than $175,000 CAD. Cashed seized totals more than $20,000 CAD.
Jahliel Kareem SMART, 18, of Brampton, Ont., is charged with:
• Possession of Cocaine for the Purpose of Trafficking
• Possession of Fentanyl for the Purpose of Trafficking
• Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5,000
• Possession of Prohibited or Restricted Firearm
• Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of Firearm
• Careless Storage of Firearm
• Possession of Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammo
• Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition
He appeared in bail court on Wednesday, August 10, 2022 and was remanded into custody with with a future appearance date.