Working Smoke Detectors Help Save Family in Machar Avenue Fire

1274
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue

Thunder Bay – NEWS – Working smoke detectors helped make sure a family was able to get out of their home safely tonight.

At dinner time tonight approximately 17:02 the TBFRS responded with three pumpers along with a Platoon Chief to a structural fire in the city’s downtown North core on Machar Avenue.

The first arriving crew found smoke coming out the rear door.  A second alarm was initiated at this time sending two more pumpers along with an Aerial Ladder unit to the scene.

The crews advanced a charged 45mm hand line to the rear of the building then made a quick aggressive interior attack on the fire extinguishing it a short time later.

On arrival firefighters located the tenants, their two small children and a dog who all self-evacuated from the burning structure.

A primary search was completed on the entire structure with no other occupants or tenants on the premises.

Smoke Detector - image depositphotos.com
Smoke Detector – image depositphotos.com

Working smoke alarms on all levels notified the tenants of the situation so they could evacuate quickly.

Fire cause was determined to be electrical from a ceiling mounted bathroom fan which malfunctioned, overheating and causing the contents of the bathroom to catch on fire.

A total of six pumpers responded, one aerial ladder and one command unit with the Platoon Chief.

The TBFRS reminds homeowners that only working smoke alarms will save lives.

Previous articleBitcoin Has Medium Day Trading at $64,385.50
Next articleCollision Closes Both Lanes of Highway 17 East of Highway 102
NetNewsledger.com or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: newsroom@netnewsledger.com Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862