For those wanting an inexpensive and affordable divorce in the state of Florida, electronic divorce is a simple, inexpensive and convenient option for filing divorce papers. Divorce over the internet can be suitable for spouses who have an undisputed case.
If you and your partner both agree to seek an amicable breakup of the union and have agreed on the conditions of the divorce, why should the procedure be put to an end and why waste time and money on lawyers? Web divorce is a simple, quick, and affordable option.
Online divorce can be a great choice if you want to save money or if you want your divorce to be done easily to more quickly get on with your life. Preparing divorce documents online is becoming more and more common in Florida, as you can complete the documents in the comfort of your own home in just a matter of hours. And if the situation seems too complicated because you have children, own your own house, or have other properties or debts, don’t worry because you can still prepare the records online.
See if you are eligible to file a divorce:
Before actually making the next move, you must meet the residency requirements of the state. In Florida, either you or your partner must have been residing in the state for at least six months before the procedure can be initiated. There are several ways to show that residency has been established. The best way to do this is by using a valid and active Florida driver’s license, identification card, or voter registry card issued at least half a year before filing for divorce. If this is not possible, it might be necessary to claim citizenship by making someone who recognizes you or your partner attest that you have been residing in the state for at least half a year. In this case, it might be necessary to include an Affidavit of Corroborating Witness form as evidence that you have resided in the state for at least half a year.
If you fulfil the following conditions, you will be eligible to apply for a simplified divorce:
- You have no children that are dependent on you
- You have agreed on how to split the properties and responsibilities
- No side is expecting alimony from the other
This process is generally convenient and straightforward, especially in comparison to a contested divorce proceeding or one involving minor or dependent children. If you qualify for the Florida Streamlined Dissolution Marriage procedure, there will be no need to hire a professional to help you.
The Florida state court system
The Florida State Courts System Self-Help Hub is a free resource to assist you to access the judicial system. It is an affordable and inexpensive way out for the dissolution of your marriage. The task of self-help centre personnel is to direct interested people to self-help pages where they can discover the services required to defend themselves, navigate the courts, and find other important tools. Self-help workers cannot provide professional skills or guidance. The self-help platform provides family law templates accepted by the Supreme Court of Florida. Additional services include a list of local self-help facilities, free and low-cost legal assistance websites, mediator search tools, and guardianship services.
What is the cost of a web divorce?
Once all of your forms are complete, and both you and your partner are ready to apply for a streamlined divorce, you must pay the appropriate filing fee. It costs $409.00 to file a claim. If you cannot afford this fee, you can apply for a payment plan or a waiver. You will find all the information available on the website of the Florida Courts. Moreover, when applying for a divorce, you may even request for the court to adjust your name back to what it was before you got married.
You will be instructed to sign a financial affidavit throughout the process of your divorce. Usually, you have a 45 day period from the date of receipt of a petition to provide a signed financial affidavit to your husband or wife. Blank legal declaration forms are accessible on the Florida Family Law Self-Help page or from the nearest court clerk. In addition to fulfilling the financial affidavit, you may need to include relevant financial documents, including:
- Revenue properties
- Tax records
- Balance accounts
- Credit card statements
- Personal financial statements
- Any other documents consisting of financial details relevant to your case
You must be accurate and truthful in the financial statements. An individual who refuses to report all accounts, loans, or properties may face penalties from the court.
Everything you need to know
When it comes to applying for divorce online in Florida, there are 2 options:
(a) filing papers in the Florida court system
(b) registering for a no-trial divorce hearing
- Florida Online Divorce: The Florida judicial framework does have an e-filing site where Floridians can submit their divorce papers online without needing to travel to the family court.
- No-court trial on divorce: Many Florida courtrooms endorse a no-court divorce trial procedure. If you decide for a no-court divorce alternative, the trial will most probably be completed in much less than 1 month.
Florida divorces may be split into a normal divorce and a simpler divorce procedure. A simplified divorce is only possible for people who do not have offspring to struggle with family care and child maintenance problems and who do not have land to be split.
Requirements for an online divorce:
To seek an electronic divorce in Florida, the case must fulfil the requirements:
- To apply for an online divorce in Florida, one partner must have lived in the Sunshine State for the past half a year.
- A family irretrievably shattered: Because Florida does not require either party to be at fault for the divorce, all parties should accept that their union is “irretrievably destroyed” to apply for a divorce. While the responsibility of a party can be recognized in the divorce case, it is not important for the case.
- Online course. The Florida government mandates couples with kids to take a mandatory 4-hour parenting course before filing for divorce. The course is designed to remind parents about their obligations to their children throughout the divorce proceedings.
What about the attorney?
An attorney isn’t required for an undisputed divorce. As long as you and your partner have achieved an understanding regarding all matters relating to your divorce, the separation of marriage is perceived to be more transparent.
The online procedure
Filing divorce papers online has become simpler because several third-party portals have simplified the procedure to support the citizens of Florida with getting divorced from the convenience of their own house. Such third-party platforms offer online forms that aid spouses with their legal divorce proceedings. These platforms require a fee for their services, but it is usually well worth it for anyone who does not want to spend their time at the courts.
The step by step guide
Although the registration procedures can differ depending on the platform you choose, the steps generally include the following:
- Open the online divorce program website.
- Simply insert your name and contact details.
- Clearly state where you are filing and if you have kids.
- Mention the information about your spouse and whether you know their current location.
- Enter the payment option and confirm the start of the process.