THUNDER BAY – During the evening of July 22, 2017 at approximately 2000hrs Thunder Bay Fire Rescue crews responded to the 300 block of North Syndicate Ave following a report of a structural fire.
Upon arrival the initial responding Pumper crew encountered smoke and flame on the first floor kitchen area. Due to a very rapid response by TBFR, the fire was quickly extinguished while being contained to the kitchen area which sustained light damage. The home sustained light smoke damage throughout the rest of the main floor and second floor areas.
No persons were in the home at the time of the fire. The homeowner discovered the fire via what is referred to as a “NEST” security app on his smart phone. Once he was alerted to the fire he initiated a 911 call for TBFR to respond.
Three TBFR Pumpers and one Command unit responded initially and remained on scene to fully ventilate to clear smoke from the structure before turning it back over to the home owners. Cause of the fire is believed to be a faulty kitchen appliance.
TBFR reminds all home owners and tenants to maintain working smoke detectors on all levels of their homes as a first line of defense to protect occupants inside by alerting them to a fire in their home early enough to get out alive.