THUNDER BAY – ROADS – Summer or what is otherwise called Construction Season in Northwestern Ontario and across Thunder Bay is well underway.
The City of Thunder Bay states, “Projects to be undertaken in 2016 include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, residential paving, sewer and watermain repair/replacement, bridge and culvert work and streetlight renewal”.
The City of Thunder Bay is investing $19.1 million in 2016 on these improvements and related infrastructure.
Road work can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce their speed, be alert, watch for workers and drive with extra care in construction zones.
Temporary street closures for events will be in effect:
- Father’s Day Fling, Treasure Hunt and BBQ – Saturday, June 18 from 8 am to 3 pm, Syndicate Avenue South – 5 parking stalls only closest to Victoriaville Mall
- The Thunder Pride Parade – Saturday, June 18:
- 10 am to 12 pm, Waverley Street from Secord Street to Red River Road and Algoma Street from Waverley Street to Red River Road
- 11 am to 1 pm, Red River Road from Waverley Street to Water Street and Water Street from Red River Road to Camelot Street intersection (Note: Full closure on Water Street from Red River Road to Camelot Street intersection)
- Pride in the Park – 10 am to 6 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park Overpass to parking lot and Saul Laskin Drive from Marina Park Drive to parking lot
- National Aboriginal Day – Tuesday, June 21 from 9 am to 11 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Camelot Street Entrance to Marina Park Overpass, and Saul Laskin Drive from Marina Park Overpass to Bobby Curtola Drive
- Cruiser Day – Friday, July 1 from 4:00 am to 6:30 pm, Park Avenue from Court Street to Cumberland Street
- Canada Day on the Waterfront – Friday, July 1:
- 6 am to 12 am, Sleeping Giant Parkway from Pearl Street to Bobby Curtola
Drive N., and Bobby Curtola Drive from Saul Laskin Drive to Marina Overpass
- 9 pm to 12 am, Water Street from Pearl Street to Cumberland Street N.
For buses only: Van Norman Street from Cumberland Street to Water Street, and
Camelot Street from Cumberland Street to Water Street
- Thunder Bay Blues Festival – Thursday, July 7 at 6 am to Monday, July 11 at 6 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park Overpass to Prince Arthur’s Landing, and Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive to Bobby Curtola Drive
- Live on the Waterfront – Every Wednesday from July 6 to August 24 from 4 pm to 9:30 pm, Sleeping Giant Parkway from north of roundabout to Saul Laskin Drive, Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive S. to Bobby Curtola Drive N., and Bobby Curtola Drive from Saul Laskin Drive to Marina Park Overpass
Road Work Ahead:
The following areas are scheduled for or are currently undergoing road and other major infrastructure work that is expected to affect traffic:
Sewer & Watermain Work
- Cumberland Street between Stephens Street and Gibson Avenue is scheduled for road reconstruction including replacement of the watermain, new storm sewer, street lighting improvements and landscaping work. The project is currently underway and will continue until the end of October 2016. Work on this street will proceed in stages. Stage 1 work extends from Stephens Street to Clavet Street and is expected to be completed by mid-June. Work will then proceed on Stage 2, which extends from Clavet Street to McCulloch Street. Traffic is permitted in one lane only heading southbound on Cumberland Street within the staged limits. Northbound traffic is required to follow posted detour route.
- Storm sewer construction on Brunswick Street between Waterloo Street and Cumming Street is expected to proceed. Watch for road closures with local traffic access only as work continues.
- Robertson Street from Pacific Avenue to Simpson Street is slated for road reconstruction including new sewers and watermains. Sections of sidewalks will be replaced as well. The road will be open to local traffic, but closed during some of the deeper excavation work.
- The Boulevard Lake parking lot on Lyon Boulevard West as well as Algoma Street between Gibson Street and MacDougall Street are under construction for the installation of twin large diameter feeder watermains. The work will limit traffic in the area and will be completed by late June.
- Watermain lining work will be completed in the area bound by Victoria Avenue, Franklin Street, Arthur Street and Brunswick Street. Open pits will be excavated and fenced off for safety. Construction crews will occupy the area over a 6 week period. While local traffic will not be impacted, motorists are advised to avoid the area if possible.
- Top lift paving and final landscaping continues on Ironwood Street between Edward Street and Sherbrooke Street.
- Improvements to Banning Street between Bay Street and Pearl Street include sewer and watermain replacements, new curb and gutter, and road reconstruction. This project will take 10 to 12 weeks starting in late May. Only local traffic will have access to the area.
- Sewer and water construction continues on Gore Street West from Neebing Avenue to Crawford Avenue. Drivers can expect block to block closures for through traffic with local traffic access only.
- Traffic access will be restricted to allow for improvements to the storm sewer and road on Crawford Place. Only local traffic will have access to the area.
- Storm sewer work on Cameron Street, Bethune Street, and McKellar Street is underway. The work on Cameron Street and Bethune Street extends from Vickers Street to McKellar Street. Work on McKellar Street extends from Bethune Street southerly to the dead-end. Watch for road closures with local traffic access only as the work proceeds.
- Inspections of all the City’s bridges will take place throughout the summer season. Expect occasional lane closures on the various structures throughout the City.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
- Road rehabilitation work is underway on Balsam Street starting at Wardrope Avenue and extending 140 metres north of Lancaster Avenue. Watch for lane and road closures as the work proceeds.
- Road resurfacing work on Masters Street between Valley Street and Dawson Road is underway. Watch for road closures with local traffic access only as the work proceeds.
- 15th Sideroad from Highway 61 extending northerly to the dead-end is scheduled for road reconstruction. Watch for road closures with local traffic access only as the work proceeds.
- Residential resurfacing work is slated to begin on Martha Street, Gresley Court, Bentwood Drive, Cottonwood Crescent, Dundas Street, Cumming Street, and Bailey Avenue.
- Asphalt patching work is scheduled to start on sections of Memorial Avenue, McGillivray Street, and Southern Avenue. Watch for road and lane closures as the work proceeds.
- Balmoral Street reconstruction between the Neebing McIntyre Floodway and Hewitson Street is underway. Work includes new pavement, curb and gutter, and storm sewers, and the existing ditches will be filled. New multi-use trails will also be constructed on both sides of the road. During construction traffic will be restricted to one lane in each direction.
- Widening and road resurfacing work continues on Hemlock Place/Avenue. Only local traffic will have access to the area.
- Road rehabilitation work is scheduled for Vickers Street between Victoria Avenue and Cameron Street. Watch for block to block road closures with local traffic access only as the work proceeds.
- Civilwork construction for new traffic signals will occur at the Carrick Street and Central Avenue intersection. Some lane closures during working hours may result. New signal installation will occur later in the season.
- New sidewalk work is expected to begin for a section of County Boulevard, extending from Halton Street to Wardrope Avenue.
- Sidewalk work on sections of Oliver Road and McIntyre Street may result in possible lane closures.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction. Other work, including sidewalk replacements and curb and gutter repairs, is scheduled for residential areas and other areas around the City. The schedule is subject to change.