Toronto Weather Alert: Heavy Rainfall and Potential Flooding
Alert Issued: 4:35 AM EST, Friday 26 January 2024
TORONTO – WEATHER – Toronto is currently experiencing significant rainfall, which is expected to continue throughout the morning. The city is facing a wet and overcast day, with light rain currently and a high of 7°C expected later in the day.
- Rainfall Amounts: Between 15 to 25 mm, with the possibility of higher amounts in some areas.
- Potential Flooding: Due to the heavy rain, there is a risk of ponding in poorly drained areas, which could lead to localized flooding.
- The heavy rain began overnight and is forecasted to continue through this morning.
- The rainfall is expected to taper off late this morning or early this afternoon.
- The current weather system has brought substantial rainfall to southern Ontario, including Toronto.
- The intensity of the rain may vary, with heavy downpours at times.
- Due to the frozen ground, which has a reduced ability to absorb water, there is an increased risk of localized flooding, especially in areas with poor drainage.
- Residents and commuters in Toronto should be prepared for wet conditions and potential flooding.
- It is advisable to avoid areas known for poor drainage or a history of flooding.
- Drivers should exercise caution on the roads, as ponding can lead to hazardous driving conditions.
Current Weather Snapshot
As of 5:00 AM EST on January 26th, 2024, Toronto is experiencing light rain with a temperature of 1.9°C. The humidity is at 100%, creating a very moist atmosphere. The wind is coming from the north-northeast at 13 km/h, and the barometric pressure stands at 101.3 kPa.
Today’s Forecast The day will see periods of rain ending near noon followed by cloudy conditions. The total rainfall amount could be between 10 to 15 mm. The wind will shift to the north at 20 km/h later in the morning. The high temperature for the day is expected to be 7°C. UV index is low at 1.
Tonight and Tomorrow
Tonight will be cloudy with a 30 percent chance of drizzle and a low of plus 4°C. Saturday, January 27th, is forecasted to be cloudy with a 30 percent chance of drizzle in the morning and a high of 6°C. The night will remain cloudy with a low of plus 2°C.
Wind and Humidity The current north-northeast wind at 13 km/h will become north at 20 km/h. The humidity level, already at 100%, will likely remain high due to the ongoing and forecasted precipitation.
Given the rainy and overcast conditions, it is recommended to wear waterproof outerwear, including a raincoat and waterproof boots. An umbrella will also be useful. Layering clothes is advisable to adjust for temperature variations throughout the day.
Toronto Weather Trivia
Toronto’s weather history on January 26th includes a record high of 12.8°C in 1944 and a record low of -29.4°C in 1939. The greatest snowfall on this date was 17.6 cm in 2004, reflecting the city’s varied winter weather conditions.