Protect Your Fall Garden Savant Lake – Sturgeon Lake Area
Anticipate chilly temperatures near zero degrees Celsius tonight, extending into the early hours of Tuesday morning.
Expect another bout of near-zero temperatures on Tuesday night, continuing into early Wednesday morning.
Fall Gardening Protection Tips:
- Shield Your Plants: Ensure the well-being of your garden by covering up vulnerable plants, particularly those situated in frost-prone regions.
- Frost-Proofing Measures: Take proactive steps to safeguard your frost-sensitive plants and trees:
- Mulching: Apply a thick layer of mulch around the base of your plants. Mulch acts as an insulator and can help moderate soil temperature.
- Blankets or Row Covers: Utilize blankets, row covers, or frost cloths to drape over delicate plants during the cold nights. Be sure to secure them in place to trap heat.
- Move Potted Plants: If you have potted plants, relocate them to sheltered areas or indoors overnight to shield them from the frosty conditions.
- Watering: Moist soil retains heat better than dry soil. Water your plants thoroughly before the cold spell to help keep them warm.
- Pruning: Trim away any damaged or dead foliage on your plants. This promotes healthy growth and reduces the risk of frost damage.
- Stay Informed: Keep an eye on local weather updates and frost advisories for timely information that can aid your protection efforts.
By taking these precautions, you can help ensure the well-being of your autumn garden during this frosty spell.