- In the evening of March 24, 2015, the Thunder Bay Police Service received a call from an individual indicating concern for Mr. Loon, with whom he had been drinking in Junot Avenue Park. The individual indicated that his friend was yelling in the park and wearing a T-shirt and pants.
- In the morning of March 25, 2015, officers responded to a call about a non-responsive person in Junot Avenue Park. Mr. Loon was located deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations