THUNDER BAY – NEWS – Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has invoked its mandate to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr. Arron Loon, 20, in Thunder Bay in 2015.
The SIU launched an investigation following discussions with the Office of the Chief Coroner. The Chief Coroner’s Office is a member of the Executive Governance Committee, established to oversee the re-investigations of the deaths of certain Indigenous persons in Thunder Bay (as recommended in the Office of the Independent Police Review Director’s Broken Trust report), which decided to consult the SIU.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- In the evening of March 24, 2015, the Thunder Bay Police Service received a call from an individual indicating concern for Mr. Loon, with whom he had been drinking in Junot Avenue Park. The individual indicated that his friend was yelling in the park and wearing a T-shirt and pants.
- In the morning of March 25, 2015, officers responded to a call about a non-responsive person in Junot Avenue Park. Mr. Loon was located deceased.
Two investigators have been assigned to this case.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation, including video or photos, to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 or online at: https://siu.on.ca/en/appeals.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations