TORONTO – COVID-19 Update – Toronto has recorded more than 2,000 total deaths of Toronto residents as a result of COVID-19. The City and Toronto Public Health wish to send their deepest sympathies to the family and friends of individuals lost to the virus.
Mayor John Tory says, “We mourn all the innocent lives lost to COVID-19 with their families, friends, colleagues, and neighbours. This grim milestone of more than 2,000 deaths in our city over the last year should remind us all that this is a deadly virus and we must take precautions to protect ourselves and our families and continue to follow the public health advice. It also renews our determination as a city to work with the provincial and federal governments on the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines so that we can get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible to save lives and help bring this pandemic to an end. The best way we can honour the memory of those lost and pay tribute to those continuing to work on the frontlines of healthcare to protect us is to keep staying home as much as possible right now, wearing a mask when we go out, and avoiding gathering with people we don’t live with.”
This tragic milestone is a reminder that all people must work to protect their community by staying home as much as possible and following public health guidance.
“Today we reached a tragic milestone with 2,017 lives lost to COVID-19 in Toronto. These losses in our community aren’t just numbers, they represent people who were cared for and loved. Each of these deaths represents a unique life, and someone’s family, friend or colleague. Please keep staying home as much as possible, and do everything you can to protect your health, the health of those around you, and save lives at this critical time. On behalf of everyone at Toronto Public Health, we offer our sincerest condolences to everyone who has lost a loved one to COVID-19,” states Dr. Eileen de Villa, Medical Officer of Health,
There are 66,417 cases of COVID-19 in the city, an increase of 941 new cases today. There are 392 people hospitalized. In total, 57,093 people have recovered from COVID-19.
The City and the Immunization Task Force are committed to ensuring the most vulnerable residents in the city receive the COVID-19 vaccine in the safest and most efficient means possible, working with the Province and hospital partners to achieve this goal. As of today, 43 long-term care homes, including five City-run homes, have begun to receive the COVID-19 vaccine since December 31. There are 87 long-term care homes in Toronto, with the City directly operating 10 of those homes.
To reduce and eliminate the transmission of COVID-19, protect the healthcare system and save lives, Toronto Public Health continues to strongly encourages everyone to only leave their home for essential reasons and observe the prohibition against indoor gatherings. Please review the City’s simple “Dos” and “Don’ts” guide for recommended and mandatory public health measures. The guide communicates what is, and what is not, permitted under the provincial Lockdown Regulation that remains in effect to help stop the spread of COVID-19: www.toronto.ca/lockdownguide.
“Today, we mark another tragic milestone in our fight against COVID-19. Over 2,000 Torontonians have now lost their lives to this devastating virus. These were our friends, neighbours, and loved ones. This loss is immeasurable, and this grim figure shows us just how serious this second wave is. The reality is that the worst months of this pandemic may still be ahead of us. But there’s still hope. It’s up to all three levels of government to take action to keep people safe, and up to each and every one of us to continue wearing our masks, washing our hands, keeping our distance from others, and doing everything we can to protect ourselves and others,” says Councillor Joe Cressy (Spadina-Fort York), Chair of the Toronto Board of Health.