July 13, 2020 – Time of Report – 17:08
THUNDER BAY – There are now 24 active wildfires in the Northwest District. This total includes the three new fires that were confirmed on Monday.
- Three fires were confirmed in the Northwest region by the mid-afternoon of July 13.
- Fort Frances 17 is located south of Poohbah Lake, approximately 43 kilometres south of Atikokan. The 0.1-hectare fire is not under control.
- Nipigon 27 is located near Schroder Lake, approximately 72 kilometres west of Geraldton. The 0.1-hectare fire is not under control.
- Thunder Bay 36 is located on the east side of Piche Lake, approximately 37 kilometres north of Upsala. The 0.1-hectare fire is not under control.
- There are 24 active fires in the region. Nine fires were not under control, two fires were being held, 10 fires were under control and three fires were being observed. One fire was declared out today.
- At the time of this update, the fire hazard is mainly high to extreme through most of the region with areas of low and moderate hazard in the northwest corner of the Red Lake sector as precipitation moves into the area.
- To see the fire hazard near you, consult the interactive fire map at Ontario.ca/forestfire
Follow Ontario’s Outdoor Burning Regulations
Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services would like to remind the public to use caution when performing any outdoor burning. In order to dispose of yard waste and woody debris, we encourage you to use methods such as composting or using your local landfill. If you must burn, follow Ontario’s outdoor burning regulations.
Fires are to be ignited no sooner than 2 hours before sunset and extinguished no later than 2 hours after sunrise.
Always have tools/water adequate to contain the fire at the site.