An Ultimate Guide to Basement Waterproofing Toronto
Rainfall is advantageous to us when it falls. It makes plants thrive well, and the ground become beautiful. However, this beauty can turn sour and unbearable if you have a leaking basement. A wet basement is a common issue among many homeowners. If not controlled, the problem can lead to serious issues that can affect your family significantly. Notably, mould growth can cause health issues, especially if there are people in your home that suffer from asthma and allergies. The water can also get into your basement walls and compromise with the structural integrity of your home. The worst thing that can happen if the water gets on your floor and damages your furniture and everything in your home. To avoid these issues, it is essential to consider basement waterproofing Toronto whenever you suspect basement leaking.
For your basement waterproofing Toronto to be successful, you should call a professional to investigate the causes and sources of your wet basement. That way, he will be able to know where to start to curb your basement leaking. Continue reading below for more insights.
- What Causes Wet Basement?
The basement may start to leak when there is high pressure beneath the basement surrounding the home’s foundation. The pressure exerted by the soil come in two different faces;
- When there is high downpour during the rainy season, the soil becomes very saturated, and this creates hydrostatic pressure also called water pressure. This pressure forces water through the basement floor and walls.
- Loose soil around the foundation of the home absorbs water. If the gutters in your home are clogged, they might pour water near the foundation of the house. Besides, downspouts may also discharge water on the foundation if they are not well fitted. This creates lateral pressure when the soil around the foundation expands. This can lead do damage to your home’s foundation and consequently cause your basement to leak when the water is forced through the walls and floor.
- Window wells are another thing that can lead to a wet basement. This is usually the case if the window well is improperly installed or if the clogging occurs in the drains. The window well fills with water. When it rains, the water infiltrates into the basement. The sign of this is stains on the walls.
The above problems can be solved through basement waterproofing Toronto.
- Ways through Which Water End up Into the Basement.
There are various ways through which water ends up in the basement of your home. The main ones are;
- The cracks occurring on the floor and in the basement walls.
- At the joints.
- Through cracks that occur at the joints of the foundation walls or mortar joints.
- How to Fix Wet Basements.
When it comes to wet basement waterproofing, there are some things you can do to stop leaks and maintain the basement dry. Here are some of the steps you may take;
- Clean Your Gutters.
Sometimes the cause of a wet basement is so close than you might imagine. As such, you don’t need complicated waterproofing Toronto methods to solve the issue of a damp basement. You can make your basement dry by merely cleaning the gutters. If the gutters have leaves and debris accumulated in them, they overflow when rainfalls. This water ends up on your basement wall and seeps into the basement foundation.
Getting rid of all the debris and leaves in your gutters and fixing the downspout to take water away from your home ill help solve the problem of a leaky basement.
- Check Your Home’s grading.
Check the sloping of your landscape. As you must know, the soil around the foundation is loose and if the grading slopes towards the foundation, water will collect around the walls of your home and seep in the basement. So ensure that the landscape slopes away from the home foundation.
- Check The Window Wells.
It is a sure-fire basement waterproofing Toronto. Fit the window wells to keep them free from debris and leaves that usually block the drain and diverts the water to the basement.
All these methods encompass directing water away from your home. For more sophisticated approaches, you can opt for sump pumps if the issue of wet basement is bothering you.