THUNDER BAY – Canada Day on the Waterfront is Thunder Bay’s biggest annual one-day event. Programming runs throughout the evening, culminating in the area’s biggest fireworks display. Celebrate Canada Day on the Waterfront presented by Ontario Power Generation!
There will be a variety of programming throughout Prince Arthur’s Landing until 11:00pm when the night finishes with a spectacular fireworks show. The OPG Community Stage, Porter Family Stage, Taiji Circle Stage, BBAC Waterfront Stage, and the Spirit Garden Stage and the will host a variety of performers in a line-up that includes top-notch local artists who are guaranteed to entertain all ages. Three time JUNO Award nominees and Billboard charting band Sultans of String, Chris McKhool’s FiddleFire!, and local band The Honest Heart Collective.
Throughout Marina Park, you will find performances and demonstrations by community groups and activities such as a Science North’s Super Science, Lakehead Shrine Club’s Shrine Train, Eclectic Skateboard Shop’s 6 Birthday Bash, and Sleeping Giant Exotics. Other activities for the whole family include balloon animals, face painting, inflatable play structures and games. Don’t forget your bathing suit so you can cool off and play at the Splash Pad.
Food vendors will be on-site. Bight Restaurant will be open from 11:30am to midnight and the Delta Hotel’s Anchor & Ore Restaurant will be open from 6:30am to midnight.
Admission to the Canada Day celebrations at Prince Arthur’s Landing is free. Free parking is available at the Court Street Parkade (18 N. Court Street) and free shuttle buses will be running from the Intercity Mall and the Thunder Bay 55 Plus Centre (400 River Street) from 4:30pm to 12:30am. There is no general public parking in the park on July 1, and no personal fireworks or alcohol permitted on the grounds.
OPG Community Stage
5:30pm Thunder Bay World Dance Collective
6:00pm Opening Ceremonies
6:45pm Chris McKhool’s FiddleFire!
7:45pm Sharp Ninth #9 – Martin Blanchet Jazz Quintet
8:45pm Sultans of String
9:45pm The Honest Heart Collective
Porter Family Stage
6:30pm Fine Fine Fines – Alanis Morrisette Covers
7:30pm Four Man Army – Our Lady Peace Covers
8:30pm Courage – The Tragically Hip Covers
9:30pm Ukkon5n – Rush Covers
Taiji Circle Stage
6:30pm Tai Chi Demonstration – Peng You Tai Chi
7:00pm Folk Music and Dance – Thunder Bay Chinese Canadian Association
8:00pm “Step into Harmony” Ballroom Dance Group
8:30pm Belly Dance – Arabella Middle Eastern Dance Academy
BBAC Waterfront Stage
6:30pm Open Drum Circle
8:00pm Taiko Drumming – Kaminari Wan Taiko
Spirit Garden Stage
7:00pm Magic Show – Mackinley Oliver
8:00pm Improv Theatre – Cambrian Players
Highlights of the 2019 Canada Day on the Waterfront include:
• Opening Ceremonies
• Canada Day Cupcakes
• Fort William Rotary House Draw
• OPG Community Stage Performances by Thunder Bay World Dance Collective, Chris McKhool’s FiddleFire!, Sharp Ninth #9 – Martin Blanchet Jazz Quintet, Sultans of String, and The Honest Heart Collective
• Porter Family Stage Performances
• Entertainment at the Taiji Circle Stage, BBAC Waterfront Stage, and Spirit Garden Stage
• Inflatables with Party Pro Inflatables
• Lakehead Shrine Club’s Shrine Train
• Super Science with Science North
• Face Painting & Balloon Animals with A Giggle of Clownz
• Sleeping Giant Exotics
• Mural Project with Community Arts & Heritage Education Project
• Artisan Market
• Eclectic Skateboard Shop’s 6 Birthday Bash
• Helicopter Tours with NorthWest Helicopters Inc. (participants pay for this activity, and it is weather dependent)
• Bubble Station
• Giant Outdoor Games
• Food Vendors
• Community Group Booths
• Fireworks Display
• Plus much, much more!