Summary:If you know how important title tag optimization is, you are surely interested in finding out how you can do it. Here are the 15 top tips and tricks to optimize your title tags like a SEO pro. All tips are explained, so anyone can use this advice.
LONDON – TECH – While I was searching for ways to get more writing jobs out of my website and blog, I came across a very interesting way to boost the number of visitors (and leads) I was getting. An SEO expert suggested that optimizing the title tags of my posts and Web pages could have a dramatic effect. After documenting myself and testing most of the tips and advice that were listed on various authority websites on the Internet, I can clearly say that optimizing your title tags really works. It will help you get more visitors (essentially increasing the click-through rate) and will help your pages or posts rank higher in search engines. Of course, it will not happen overnight. However, with some patience and some dedication, you too can benefit from optimizing your title tags. So, how do you do it? Let’s find out!
Why Your Title Tag Really Matters?
What is a Title tag? The Title tag is a tag that is placed in the header of the HTML code of your page. It sounds complex, but it’s actually pretty simple. Here is how a title tag looks like:. This is it! You can use anything for your title. The title tag is displayed in the list of search results by all search engines. It is the title of the page and is displayed in bolded font. The contents of the Description tag (also a very important tag) are displayed below the title on the search results page. You surely realize how important the title tag is once you know where it is displayed. A person searching for something will click on the page that has the most well-written title tag. Ideally, the title tag should answer the question of the person doing the search in just a few words.
The 15 Title Tag Optimization Guidelines
Now that you know what a title tag is and why it is so important, let’s take a look at how you can optimize it so that it works in your favor. It’s not at all difficult. In fact, almost anyone can optimize a title tag after reading these optimization tips. So, without further ado, here are the top 15 ways to optimize your title tag for search engines and also make it more attractive to people (or make it more likely to be clicked on):
1. Use numbers in your title tag. Let’s be honest; numbers stand out. In other words, numbers will make your title tag stand out on the search results page. For example, a title tag like “5 Signs Aliens Are Among Us” will surely be more interesting than “Aliens Are Already Among Us”. Numbers are specific, so people looking over the search results page will be attracted to them without even realizing it.
2. You can use dates in your title tags. As we mentioned earlier, numbers are specific so they stick to peoples’ minds. Dates are even more specific. Somebody searching for something will be attracted to a date. For example, the title tag “Best CEOs in the World, December 2018” looks a lot better than “The Best CEOs in the World”. And in most cases, the former will get a lot more clicks than the latter title tag. It’s just the way peoples’ minds work.
3. Do not make your title tags too long or too short. The length of the title tag is causing a lot of controversies in the SEO world. Some say that longer title tags are more successful, while others strongly disagree. To avoid any problems, you should make your title tag long enough to tell the reader what your page is all about. Achieve this in 50 to 60 characters and you will be just fine. Don’t go over 60 characters and try to never make a title tag shorter than 40 characters. And of course, don’t forget to use your top keywords in the title tag. Use words that people would search for.
4. Try to use synonyms in your title tag when possible. Remember, people use various words to search for the same things. For example, people will search for “low cost cabs,” “cheap taxis,” “affordable Ubers,” and so on when searching for a taxi. Use cabs, taxis and Ubers as keywords in your title tag and your title will appeal to all of these people. To get an idea of the synonyms and variations used by people when conducting a search, look at SERPs and use keyword tools. You will get entire lists of keywords that people are searching for. It’s up to you then to craft an amazing title out of the most relevant words in the list.
5. Insert a call to action in your title tag and you will get more clicks. In other words, incorporate actions words into your title. “Buy this,” “Learn that,” and “Visit us” are all great ideas for a call to action.
6. Try to use the exact words a person doing the search would use. People will almost surely click on a title that has the same exact words as what they typed in the search box.
7. Don’t be afraid to use questions in your title tags. A question creates curiosity, and most people will click on your title just to get to the answer. Remember, humans are very curious beings. Why not use this to your advantage?
8. Do not use a title that has no connection to the content of your page or blog post. You will get penalized by the search engine in no time.
9. Make sure there are no typos or grammatical/spelling errors in your title tags.
10. Always know your top referring keywords before you write the title tag, and include as many of them into the tag.
11. Your title tags should not look like spam (nobody clicks on these titles). So avoid titles like “Get 100% Free Cialis Here” like the plague.
12. Remember that the title tag must accurately describe the content of your web page or blog post.
13. Make the title tag short and concise and avoid filler words. You have very limited space, so you must make the most out of it!
14. Do not stuff keywords in the title tag because search engines penalize websites that do this. Your title tag must sound natural to a human.
15. Do not use the same title tag on several pages. Each page should have a unique title tag!
Conclusion – Is Optimizing the Title Tag Enough?
By following the tips and advice above, you will optimize your title tags to appeal to both potential visitors and search engines. You will improve your rank in SERPs and will increase your click-through rate. However, title tags are not the only thing you need to focus on. The Meta Description tag is also very important, and so are many other tags. However, the content of your web page is what will make the difference ultimately. Write stellar content and you will get tons of visitors. Google will love you! You can then write a research paper online and show others how it’s done. And get more visitors and backlinks in the process, of course!