THUNDER BAY – Fresh baking is always a treat. One of the all-time favourites for many people is banana bread.
Here is a different take on that favourite, banana bread made with a cup of shredded wheat.
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup Post Original Shredded Wheat Spoon Size Cereal, finely crushed
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix flour, cereal, spice, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat sugar and margarine in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Blend in bananas. Pour into greased 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely. Cut into 16 slices.