IGNACE – Bob Nault, Member of Parliament for the Kenora Riding, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, announced an investment of $195,040 into the Ignace Water Conservation Project.
The project entails three measures:
· Leak repairs in the distribution system. It is estimated that the Township is losing up to 50 per cent of its water;
· Installation of water meters. Currently only 40 per cent of the estimated 650 water users are metered;
· Ignace Township will supply and install recirculating pump/tank units at properties where waterlines frequently freeze. The constant movement of the water will prevent freezing as frozen waterlines are prevalent in Ignace.
“The Government of Canada is committed to working closely with Ontario and municipal governments to support the needs of smaller municipalities. This investment will ensure that Ignace can make the necessary improvements to their water distribution system. These upgrades will not only help the residents, but also the environment, as it makes the entire system less wasteful,” said Nault.
This investment is part of 35 municipal infrastructure projects in Ontario valued at $141 million that will move forward immediately, thanks, in part, to the federal government’s Small Communities Fund. The federal government has committed $44 million to the projects, of which more than $6.5 million will be invested in the Kenora riding. The provincial government is also providing equal funding ($44M) in support of these projects in communities that have less than 100,000 residents across Ontario.
Other projects in the Kenora riding receiving funding include:
* $2,076,667 – Kenora Airport Authority Inc., consolidation of Kenora airport services, as well as hangar and runway realignment.
* $1,833,333 – Lac Seul First Nation, upgrades to water and sewer facilities;
* $610,000 – Eagle Lake First Nation, Eagle Lake watermain upgrade;
* $1,333,333 – Naotkamegwanning (Whitefish Bay) First Nation, water treatment plant upgrades;
* $500,000 – Grassy Narrows First Nation, water treatment plant upgrades.
· Investing in Canada, the Government of Canada’s new $120 billion infrastructure plan: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/index-eng.html.
· Have your say on infrastructure: infraconsults.ca
· Federal infrastructure investments in Ontario: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/map-carte/index-eng.html.
· Small Communities Fund: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/sc-cp-eng.html.