Thunder Bay Fire Rescue Responds to CO Alarm

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue on Brodie Street East

THUNDER BAY – Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reports, “Just after 02:15AM EST on January 10, 2016 Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to what was first reported as a fire alarm ringing in a three unit apartment structure in the 400 block of St. Patrick’s Square. Crews however discovered the alarm to be one detecting the presence of carbon monoxide in the main floor unit. The other units of the structure were clear of carbon monoxide. A single male occupant was in the unit at the time.

This male occupant was transported to Thunder Bay Regional Hospital as a precaution. He was subsequently treated and released.

It was determined that the cause of the carbon monoxide was the result of the occupant burning some type of incense. The occupant was advised not to continue this practice in the future.

Following is an excerpt from a press release in 2015 when new Carbon Monoxide alarm Legislation came into effect. There can be no doubt that the carbon monoxide alarm in this incident saved the occupant from serious injury or worse: “If your home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage, you must have a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home,” said Fire Chief John Hay. “Thunder Bay Fire Rescue wants to make sure everyone is safe from CO. Only a carbon monoxide alarm can alert you to its presence.”

Previous articleThunder Bay Kings Struggling at NAPHL Tourney
Next articleIcebreaking Efforts Start on Lake Huron or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862