THUNDER BAY – ROADS – Construction projects around Thunder Bay will continue in October and November as the busy construction season wraps up. Road work can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce their speed, be alert, watch for workers and drive with extra care in construction zones.
The 2014 road work program is nearing completion. By the end of this year 18.6 km of roads will be resurfaced or reconstructed. As we upgrade our pavements we also upgrade streetlighting, traffic signals and our underground infrastructure. In 2014 this will include 4 km of watermain replacement and 3.4 km of in-place watermain rehabilitation, 1.8 km of sanitary sewer replacement or in-place rehabilitation and 2.4 km of new storm sewers. As part of our Pollution Prevention Control Program we will separate 0.5 km of combined sewers this year.
Our Active Transportation program will see more sidewalks become through the addition of ramp access. By the end of 2014, 3.9 km of sidewalks will be replaced and 2.6 km of new sidewalks will be added to the existing network. We have added 4.6 km of new bike lanes or shared lanes.
Also, the second stage of Golf Links/Junot widening project will be completed this fall, as well as the widening of Valley Street. Both these projects will include Active Transportation components such as bike lanes or multi-purpose trails.
These projects are funded by the City’s capital budget including $ 8.25 million in the Enhanced Infrastructure Renewal Program. These projects are partly funded by the Federal Gas Tax program and Ontario’s Small Rural Northern Municipal Infrastructure Fund.
Road work can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce their speed, be alert, watch for workers and drive with extra care in construction zones.
Temporary street closures for events will be in effect:
Saturday, Nov. 15 from 9:45 am – 1 pm, Gorham Street from Superstore to 13th Avenue, 11th Avenue from Gorham Street to Memorial Avenue, 12th Avenue from Gorham Street to Memorial Avenue, 13th Avenue from Gorham Street to Memorial Avenue, Memorial Avenue from 13th Avenue to High Street, High Street from Memorial Avenue to Beverly Street, and Beverly Street from High Street to Newton Street, for the 24th Annual Rotary Santa Claus Parade
Road Work Ahead: The following areas are scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic in October and November.
Sewer & Watermain Work
- Arthur Street between Edward Street and Tarbutt Street is scheduled for road reconstruction including watermain and storm sewer. Work will proceed in stages over multi-block sections. One-lane traffic will apply in each direction through the construction zone. Please obey posted signage regarding left-turn restrictions.
- Peter Street from Hebert Street to Dawson Street will be closed to traffic for sewer and watermain work.
- Whalen Street from River Street to the dead end will be restricted to local traffic only for the replacement of the existing watermain and repaving of the road.
- Sewer and watermain work will be underway on Harold Street from Victoria Avenue to Donald Street. Local traffic only. Please obey posted signage.
- Road reconstruction continues on May Street between Southern Avenue and Dease Street, including watermain and sanitary sewer. Work will proceed in stages, beginning with the section of May Street between Southern Avenue and Finlayson Street. May Street will be completely closed in this section; please use posted detours. The intersection of May Street and Southern Avenue will be closed to through traffic during the early stages of this construction.
- Reconstruction of the Court Street Bridge continues. The bridge will be closed for the duration of the construction, likely into October. Please follow posted detours.
- · The City’s bi-annual bridge inspection program is underway for 2014. Engineers will be inspecting all the pedestrian and vehicular bridges in the City, and traffic lanes may be closed for short durations as the work progresses.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
- On Golf Links Road between Oliver Road and Linden Court, construction work involving widening the road to four lanes, and installation of sidewalks, trails, and underground storm sewers and watermains is taking place. Additional work will also be undertaken by utility companies on this corridor. The roadway will be closed to through traffic and a detour posted. Local access will be available to residential subdivisions, and hospital access will be maintained.
- New traffic signals will be installed at the intersection of Valley Street and Strand Avenue. Watch for lane closures as work proceeds. Please obey posted signs.
- Work is continuing on London Drive between East Avenue and Market Street. Local access only. Some driveway disruption is expected.
- Road reconstruction work on Leslie Avenue between Lillian Street and Arundel Street continues. Watch for road closures as work proceeds. Some driveway disruption is expected.
- Resurfacing work on Conmee Street between Chamberlain Street and Albany Street continues. Some driveway disruption is expected. Watch for road and lane closures as work proceeds.
- Traffic signal rebuild will be occurring at the intersection of Red River Road and Algonquin Avenue. Lane closures will be necessary as the work proceeds.
- Sidewalk replacement on Harold Street and Grey Street is proceeding. Local traffic only during work periods. Interruptions to driveway access may occur.
- Road resurfacing work is expected to start on Begin Street between Waterloo Street and Ford Street. Watch for road closures as work proceeds. Some driveway disruption is expected.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction only. Additional work, including sidewalk replacements and curb and gutter repairs, is scheduled for residential areas and other locations around the city. The schedule is subject to change.