THUNDER BAY – From Foodland Ontario comes a great recipe for you to try. For a sweet and salty twist, we offer Crostini with Prosciutto and Caramelized Pears. All the elements for these Italian-inspired bites can be prepared in advance so they’re easy to assemble whenever you’re ready.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: Makes 24 pieces
- 24 diagonal slices (1-inch/2.5 cm thick) baguette
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
- 2 Ontario Bartlett Pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 25 mL) olive oil
- Boston Lettuce or Arugula
- 12 paper-thin slices prosciutto
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crème fraîche or sour cream
Lightly toast bread; let cool.
In skillet, melt butter on medium heat; add pears in single layer and brown on all sides. Add lemon juice. Let cool.
Brush a little olive oil over each toast. Top with some lettuce; arrange 3 slices of pears on each, then half a slice of prosciutto. Garnish each with 1 tsp (5 mL) of crème fraîche. Sprinkle with pepper to taste.
- Protein: 4 grams
- Fat: 3.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 20 grams
- Fibre: 1 gram
- Calories: 130