TORONTO – Greyhound Canada has suspended its remaining routes citing COVID-19 for the shutdown. The company issued a statement today saying “Although the company has made every effort to reduce costs, and has made significant outreach efforts to the provincial and federal governments, it cannot continue operations absent financial support.”
In a statement, the company called the shutdown a “regrettable” result of COVID-19, adding that ridership has declined 95 percent. Bus services will end on May 12 at midnight, affecting 400 employees.
Greyhound Canada says that this shutdown is a result of ridership which has fallen by 95 percent. Service for the routes in Southern Ontario and into Quebec will cease on May 12, 2020, at midnight.
In Northern Ontario, Kasper Transportation has already suspended operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Effectively this means bus service from Montreal to Kenora is closed except for ONTC which has reduced its service as well.
This decision by Greyhound will see bus routes across Southern Ontario, and the company’s one route from Ottawa to Montreal.
Greyhound had earlier reduced service on March 25th and again on April 5, 2020. At that time the company suspended travel on routes to the United States, as well as 9 other routes.
Stuart Kendrick, the senior vice-president at Greyhound Canada, says “We regret the difficulty that this will cause them, but this decision came as a last resort option to address the uncontrollable consequences and devastating impacts of this pandemic.
Greyhound Canada has entered into talks with the provincial and federal governments seeking financial support.
New Democratic Party Leader Jagmeet Singh says that “The loss of inter-city bus service is another big hit to people who have the least. This move is going to put hundreds of people out of work and leave hundreds more stranded.”