SHUNIAH – NEWS – Cooler weather has fireplaces and furnaces being used. Early this morning, Shuniah Fire and Emergency Services responded to a call where the brick and mortar in a fireplace failed to contain the fire.
At approximately 1:30 am on Wednesday, September 4, 2019, Shuniah Fire & Emergency Services (SFES) responded to a report of smoke in a camp on Amethyst Harbour Bay Avenue in the Municipality of Shuniah.
First arriving crews reported smoke inside a seasonal residence with signs of active fire in the wall space behind the fireplace. Firefighters cut into the wall and the floor to access the fire and extinguished it. The cause of the fire was from aged brick and mortar that had deteriorated to the point of failing to properly contain a fire within the fireplace.
About fifteen firefighters responded to the fire with all SFES units back in service at 6:00 am.
SFES would like to remind the public about the importance of working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and adjacent to sleeping areas. Fortunately, in this incident, the residents were alerted to the fire from a smoke alarm that ultimately saved their lives.