NIPIGON – A break and enter in Nipigon turned into an assault of an 81-year-old man. The Nipigon OPP responded to the early-morning 911 call after receiving a report of the assault at a Bell Street address in Nipigon.
When Officers arrived on the scene, they found that the 81-year-old male the victim of an assault with a weapon by two intruders. Both suspects had fled the scene on foot.
The Nipigon OPP with the assistance of the North West Region Forensic Identification Unit and North West Region Crime Unit were able to quickly identify the suspects.
Police attended a Nipigon residence a short time later and arrested a male and female. Charged is 29-year-old Nelson Brown of Dorion, ON. He is charged with the following offences:
- Adult Break and Enter a dwelling house with the intent to commit an indictable offence contrary to section 348(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
- Assault with a weapon contrary to section 267(a) of the Criminal Code
- Adult Unlawfully in dwelling house contrary to section 349(1) of the Criminal Code.
- The second suspect has been identified as a 16-year-old female, a young person within the meaning of the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA). She is facing the following charges:
- Break, Enter Dwelling House – commit indictable offence contrary to section 348(1)(b) of the Criminal Code Unlawfully in Dwelling House contrary to section 349(1) of the Criminal Code
- Fail to comply with sentence contrary to the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
- Assault with a weapon contrary to section 267(a) of the Criminal Code.
Both suspects are in custody and are scheduled to attend Thunder Bay Provincial Court On March 13th, 2019 to answer to the charges. The male victim received non-life threatening injuries.