THUNDER BAY – Happy Family Day. For fun today, bundle up and head down to Marina Park for an afternoon of fun. You can also head down to the Canada Games Complex to wear down the daily dose of energy your youngsters have.
Most stores are closed today. Walmart, Metro, Safeway, Intercity Mall, and Renco Foods are closed for the holiday. Selected Shoppers Drug Mart locations are open. For groceries, Skaf’s in Current River is open. George’s Market on River Street is open today from 9-9.
If you are headed down to Prince Arthur’s Landing, Rooster’s Bistro is open today.
The Hub on Victoria Avenue is closed today. The Bean Fiend is closed, but Brian Hamilton says that he is open for coffee for friends until 11:30 am. For those needing their ‘Double-Double’ the Tim Hortons are open.
Ontario Government Offices are closed today. However, Canada Post is delivering today. It is not a federal holiday.
Many restaurants are open. However, some favourites, like Bay Coffee are taking the well deserved time off to enjoy the holiday.
Family Day – Monday, Feb. 18, from 12 pm – 5 pm
“SnowDay has a variety of winter art and recreation activities that are free for the community to come and explore,” said Ash Young, Cultural Development & Events Supervisor. “The snow sculptures are at the heart of SnowDay and we’re pleased to have 10 teams carving all weekend. Each team brings a unique vision of this year’s theme, transportation. Be sure to come down and vote for your favourite for the People’s Choice Award.”
SnowDay 2019 highlights:
- Snow sculptures
- Snow carving – Willow Springs Creative Centre
- Waterfront yarn bomb
- Stage performances – DJ Blackie Chan and Plan B! (the band)
- Mariners Hall performance – Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra Trio
- Ice slide, ice photo booth and cool canvases – Iceculture Inc.
- Wagon rides – New Canaan Farm
- Helicopter tours – NorthWest Helicopters Inc. (fee charged for tours/weather dependent)
- Tapping trains and outdoor weaving project – Community Arts & Heritage Education Project
- Sugar shack – Club Culturel Francophone de Thunder Bay ($2 maple sugar lollipops for sale)
- Dogsledding rides – Boreal Journeys Sled Dog Kennel (children age 14 and under only)
- Interactive outdoor spinning featuring hula-hooping, poi spinning, juggling, and twirling ribbons – Compelling Characters
- Face painting – Our Kids Count
- Skating party – LU Radio
- Winter Science – Science North
- Save Our Carousel project information booth
- Storytelling and scavenger hunt activities – Parks Canada
- Display and racing demonstration – Lakehead Radio Controlled Car Club
- Wondering dress-up characters – All the Daze Productions
- Giant outdoor games, snow castle building and snow painting
- Sponsor activities
- And more!
Food and beverages will be available at Bight Restaurant and the Bight’s Bait Shop.