THUNDER BAY – There were four new fires confirmed in the region by the afternoon of September 9.
- Sioux Lookout 166 has been declared out at 0.1 hectares and was located near Agutua Lake, approximately 166 kilometres northwest of Pickle Lake
- Kenora 149 has been declared out at 0.1 hectares and was located on Mackies Island on Lake of the Woods.
- Fort Frances 76 is not under control at 0.1 hectares and is located near Calm Lake, approximately 30 kilometres northwest of Atikokan.
- Fort Frances 77 is not under control at 0.1 hectares and is located near McPherson Lake, approximately 42 kilometres west of Atikokan.
There are 48 active fires in the region, 43 of which are either under observation, being held or under control.
Fire hazard in the Northwest Region
The forest fire hazard is high across most of the region with a few pockets of moderate and extreme forest fire hazard. Rain is in the forecast for the next few days.
Ontario Parks restricts access to some areas of Quetico Provincial Park
A large forest fire in Quetico Provincial Park has necessitated some restrictions for backcountry travelers. Ontario Parks is restricting access to some canoe routes as well as access to a number of lakes. You can find more details here To see a complete list of fires across the province click on our interactive map. You can also get the latest update on the condition of any fire by clicking the fire icon.
Fire numbers and online information:
- Forest Fire Reporting Number – 310-FIRE (3473)
- Twitter account
Report prepared by Jonathan Scott