DRYDEN, ON – On March 30, 2018, at approximately 9:45 a.m. officers from the Kenora Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were investigating a traffic complainant where it was alleged that a driver of a small black motor vehicle was passing unsafely and driving at speeds well in excess of the posted speed limit.
Through investigation, it was learned that the motor vehicle was stolen. Officers attempted to stop the motor vehicle by way of a spike belt in both Dryden and Ignace areas with negative results.
The motor vehicle was located parked on the shoulder of Highway 17, approximately 65 km East of Ignace.
With the assistance of several OPP Detachments and other OPP resources, the driver of the motor vehicle was located at 12:27 p.m.
Hans THOMAS, a thirty-five-year-old male from Edmonton, AB has been charged with the following offences:
1. Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle, Section 249(1) (a) of the Criminal Code.
2. Flight while Pursued by Peace Officer, Section 249.1(1) of the Criminal Code.
3. Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5000, Section 354(1) (a) of the Criminal Code.
4. Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000, Section 354(1)(a) of the Criminal Code.
5. Possession of an identity document, Section 56.1 of the Criminal Code.
6. Fail to Comply with Recognizance, Section 145(3) of the Criminal Code.
7. Fail to Comply with Conditions of an Undertaking, Section 145(5.1) of the Criminal code.
8. Driving while under Suspension, Section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act.
9. Drive motor vehicle not equipped with an approved ignition interlock device, Section 41.2(13) of the Highway Traffic Act.
10. Race a motor vehicle – Excessive Speed, contrary to Section 172(1) of the Highway Traffic Act.
11. Use plate not authorized for a vehicle, contrary to Section 12(1)(d) of the Highway Traffic Act.
12. Fail to slow down and proceed with caution for emergency vehicle or tow truck, Section 159(2) of the Highway Traffic Act.
THOMAS was held in custody and appeared in Sioux Lookout Court on April 3, 2018, on the Criminal charges and will appear in Ignace Court on May 22, 2018 on the Highway Traffic Act charges.