Man Dead of Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted 12 February 2018 by in Featured

Carbon Monoxide

Having your furnace checked annually and having working Carbon Monoxide Monitors is Important

THUNDER  BAY – NEWS – A fifty-five-year-old man is dead as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Thunder Bay Police and Thunder Bay Fire Rescue along with Superior EMS staff responded to a call in the 600 block of McTavish Street on Sunday. Thunder Bay Fire rescue first reported on this incident earlier today.

The three-tiered response from emergency services sent multiple units to a residence in the 600 block of McTavish Street after a 911 call was received just before 9:00 pm on February 11, 2018. The call to 911 reported that there was a male without vital signs and three unconscious individuals in a basement apartment.

Police arrived within minutes and were informed by paramedics that carbon monoxide levels were elevated and it was unsafe.

Patrol officers kicked open the door to the residence and removed two unconscious individuals located on the main floor of the residence. Officers then entered the building and escorted a conscious female out of the residence while other officers carried an unconscious male from the basement apartment.

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue removed a second male who was vital signs absent.

Four individuals were escorted to the hospital by ambulance. The 55-year-old male was pronounced deceased at the hospital. A 51-year-old male, a 26-year-old female, and a 62-year-old female were treated by TBRHSC emergency staff.

Five police officers were also sent to the hospital and checked out by hospital staff suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning effects of entering the building.

Four other individuals who had been in the residence that did not require medical attention were escorted to the Balmoral Police Station to be interviewed by Investigators to determine what had transpired.

The residence is being held for further investigation.