Strike Action Notice In Effect for Confederation College
THUNDER BAY – The OPSEU CAAT Academic Union has given notice that a strike action will start on Monday, October 16. Though there is still an opportunity for a settlement to be reached by Sunday, October 15, Confederation College is preparing to initiate its contingency plan if needed.
If there is a strike, Confederation College will ensure that students have the opportunity to complete their year. It is important to note that no student at an Ontario college has ever lost their year due to a strike.
Should a strike begin on Monday, the following summarizes what the public can expect:
- All academic delivery will cease at Confederation College. This includes Workforce Development/Contract Training, Continuing and Distance Education, Co-op and Work Placements, and International and Collaborative programming. This means that all classes would be cancelled until further notice.
- The SUCCI Wellness Centre – Minowaadiziiwin, Health Centre, Children and Family Centre, and Follett Bookstore will remain open for the duration of the strike.
- Sodexo (food services) will remain open, however, certain locations may be closed and reduced hours may be in effect. Details will be communicated accordingly.
- The public will be advised not to use Confederation College’s roadways for through traffic. Those coming to campus should expect delays.
- City of Thunder Bay Transit stops will be temporarily relocated outside of the main entrances for Confederation College.
As always, safety will continue to be of the utmost concern for Confederation College. Members of the public are asked to be patient and respectful if crossing picket lines, and refer to the Picket Line Protocol available on our strike website for more information.
A confirmation of strike or settlement will be provided in advance of Monday, October 16 to alert the public and Confederation College stakeholders to the result. This confirmation may be issued as late as Sunday evening.