Fire Moves Faster Than You – Fire Prevention Week
SHUNIAH – Shuniah Fire & Emergency Services is urging families to practice their home fire escape plan as part of Fire Prevention Week. This year’s theme of Fire Prevention Week, which runs from October 8-14, 2017, is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!”
“Fire and smoke move faster than you,” said Fire Chief Blair Arthur. “There’s no time to figure out how to escape your home AFTER a fire starts. Practice an escape plan BEFORE there’s a fire so you can get out safely.”
In a fire, you may have just seconds to safely escape your home. Be prepared in advance with these simple steps for home fire escape planning:
- Assess the needs of everyone in your home
Identify anyone who requires assistance to get out of the home safely, such as small children or older adults.
- Make sure that you have working smoke alarms on every floor of the home and outside all sleeping areas
Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm.
- Identify all possible exits ( doors and windows ) and make sure they work
Know two ways out of all areas, if possible.
- Everyone must know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds
Assign someone to help those who need assistance.
Identify a safe meeting place outside.
Call the fire department from outside the home – from a neighbour’s home or a cell phone.
- Practice your home fire escape plan at least twice a year
Have everyone participate.
Make changes to your plan if necessary.