Carbon Monoxide Issues Continue for Thunder Bay Fire Rescue

Carbon Monoxide
Having your boiler and furnace checked annually and having working Carbon Monoxide Monitors is Important

Carbon Monoxide
Having your furnace checked annually and having working Carbon Monoxide Monitors is Important

Thunder Bay – Thunder Bay Fire Rescue have responded to four homes for carbon monoxide (CO) alarm calls in the past 14 days that were the result of CO being present in the residence. In each incident the occupants were alerted to the CO emergency by their CO alarms.

“If your home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage, CO alarms are required outside each sleeping area of the residence,” said Deputy Fire Chief Greg Hankkio. “Thunder Bay Fire Rescue wants to make sure everyone is safe from CO. Only a CO alarm can alert you to its deadly presence.”

The Ontario Fire Code also requires that in condo and apartment buildings with a service room, CO alarms must be installed in the service room and adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below, and beside the service room. In condo or apartment buildings that have a garage, CO alarms must be installed adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below, and beside the garage.

How To Tell If There Is Carbon Monoxide In Your Home

  • Headache, nausea, burning eyes, fainting, confusion, drowsiness
  • Common ailments that could be mistaken for the flu
  • The symptoms improve when away from the home for a period of time
  • The symptoms are experienced by more than one member of the household
  • Continued exposure to high levels may cause unconscious, brain damage and death
  • The elderly, children and people with heart or respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive to CO

 

For more information on CO and CO regulations, residents are encouraged to visit www.thunderbay.ca/fire