THUNDER BAY – Thunder Bay will host Minister Michael Coteau, the Ontario Government’s Minister Responsible for Anti-Racism for a public meeting on November 26 2016 as a part of a nine community meetings tour across the province to engage with the public on addressing systemic racism and eliminating barriers for Indigenous and racialized communities.
The community meetings are hoped will help further the public dialogue and identify priority areas for the province’s Anti-Racism Directorate as it applies an anti-racism perspective to government policies, programs and services.
The meetings will focus on anti-Black racism, as well as Islamophobia, anti-Indigenous racism and racism experienced by other communities.
The community meetings will take place on the following dates:
- Monday, September 26 in Hamilton
- Tuesday, September 27 in Mississauga
- Wednesday, October 5 in Scarborough (rescheduled from September 13)
- Friday, October 7 in London
- Saturday, October 15 in Sudbury
- Monday, October 24 in Kitchener-Waterloo
- Saturday, November 26 in Thunder Bay
- Monday, November 28 in Windsor
- Friday, December 2 in Ottawa
Meeting details, including times and locations, will be posted on Ontario.ca/antiracism.
This work will complement public engagement with Indigenous partners to inform the development of an Indigenous-specific anti-racism strategy, a commitment that was made as part of Ontario’s response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
Hearing and learning from Ontarians on anti-racism issues is part of the government’s commitment to fight racism and ensure everyone in Ontario has the opportunity to fulfill their potential and participate equally in society.
- The Anti-Racism Directorate was established on February 16, 2016 to increase public education and awareness of racism and apply an anti-racism perspective in developing, implementing and evaluating government policies, programs and services.
- The first community meeting took place in Toronto on July 14, 2016.
- A complete report of the community meetings will be made available when all public meetings are complete.