THUNDER BAY – AVIATION – Wasaya Airways are going to welcome Airbus Defence and Space to Thunder Bay on Thursday. Recent meetings between senior executives resulted in Airbus bringing a C295W, owned by the Mexican Air Force (SEDENA), to Thunder Bay on June 23rd to demonstrate the aircraft in Wasaya’s unique and challenging northern environment.
The tour will expose the C295W to Canada’s diverse and extreme weather conditions and terrain. With stops in cities such as Saskatoon, Yellowknife, Winnipeg, and Thunder Bay, and landing in more remote communities like Resolute Bay, Churchill, Pickle Lake, and Kasabonika, the tour will demonstrate the robustness, reliability and versatility of the C295W which make it perfectly suited for operations in Canada’s challenging environments. The C295W is a next generation tactical airlifter ideal for defence and civil missions. It is part of the Airbus Defence and Space family of light and medium airlifters, and features new winglets and higher engine power ratings which give increased performance in all flight phases and lower fuel burn.
- Crew: Two
- Capacity: 71 troops
- Payload: 9,250 kg (20,400 lb)
- Length: 24.50 m (80 ft 3 in)
- Wingspan: 25.81 m (84 ft 8 in)
- Height: 8.60 m (28 ft 3 in)
- Wing area: 59 m² (634.8 ft²)
- Max. takeoff weight: 23,200 kg (51,146 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney Canada PW127G Hamilton Standard 586-F (six bladed), 1,972 kW (2,645 hp) each
- Maximum speed: 576 km/h (311 knots, 358 mph)
- Cruise speed: 480 km/h (260 knots, 300 mph)
- Range: with 3,000 kg (6,600 lb) payload, 4,600 km (2,500 nmi / 2,875 mi); (with 6,000 kg (13,200 lb) payload, 3,700 km (2,000 nmi / 2,300 mi))
- Range with max 9,250 kg (20,400 lb) payload: 1,300 km (700 nmi / 805 mi)
- Ferry range: 5,400 km (2,900 nmi / 3,335 mi)
- Service ceiling: 9,100 m (30,000 ft)
- Takeoff run: 670 m (2,200 ft)
- Landing run: 320 m (1,050 ft)
The C295W and invited passengers and delegates will fly to Pickle Lake and Kasabonika where the aircraft will demonstrate its short takeoff and landing capabilities.