THUNDER BAY – Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to a fire in the paper machine at Resolute Forest Products last night. The first arriving crew was directed to the location on site and were briefed that Mill staff was applying water into some ducting of the paper machine.
The fire was contained to the duct work area and quickly knocked down.
However, it would be some time to fully confirm the fire was in fact out due to the nature of the equipment involved.
Probable cause for the fire is an overheated bearing within the paper machine. Damage estimates are still to be assessed by the Mill staff and it is unknown at this time how long the paper machine will out of service. There are no injuries to report as a result of this incident.