THUNDER BAY – NEWS – “I’m delighted to have this opportunity to congratulate each of the award recipients today, and in particular, Boreal Birch Syrup of Murillo in my riding. It’s through their ideas, creativity, dedication and hard work that we are helping ensure that Northern Ontario remains a world leader in the agri-food sector,” stated Bill Mauro, MPP for Thunder Bay-Atikokan
Ontario is celebrating local innovators who are contributing to the success of the province’s agri-food sector.
The regional recipients of the Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence were celebrated and honoured today at a ceremony in Thunder Bay for their contributions to the creation of new products, adding value to existing products, helping support job creation, and building economic growth in Ontario.
The award recipients in the Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Thunder Bay and Timiskaming districts are:
- Boreal Birch Syrup, Murillo
- Cloverbelt Local Food Co-operative Inc., Dryden
- Meekers Aquaculture/Blue Goose, Evansville
- Rheault Distillery, Hearst
- Thornloe Cheese Inc., Thornless
“I congratulate this year’s winners of the Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. Their commitment to creative ideas strengthens Ontario’s world-class agri-food sector and positions our province for economic growth,” commented Jeff Leal, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
- A total of 50 2014 regional agri-food innovation awards were announced across the province.
- Since 2007, a total of 375 producers, processors and agri-food organizationsreceived a Premier’s Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports farmers, communities and the economy – employing more than 760,000 Ontarians and contributing over $34 billion to the province’s economy.