THUNDER BAY – HEALTH – Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre (TBRHSC) introduces a new parking system for patients, families and visitors. Instead of a paper parking ticket, people will now receive a digital chip when entering parking lots. When a person is ready to leave, the chip – like the paper ticket – is inserted into a parking kiosk, where it is read. Once the indicated amount owing is paid (by cash, credit card or debit), the chip is coded and returned. People then have 15 minutes to use the chip to exit the parking lot.
This system change is for one-time-use, which is used by the majority of patients and visitors. For multi-use access to parking lots (longer-term parking), the paper system will still be used. If you require frequent parking at TBRHSC, there are money-saving options available, including 7- and 30-day passes. Please check the parking kiosks at TBRHSC for options and rates.
- The chips! They are reusable, which means less waste and litter.
- New parking kiosks in lobby areas are user-friendly and feature larger screens.
- Cash payments will now only be accepted at the parking kiosks in the lobby areas. To pay at the gate, people must use a credit card.
- Fees for lost chips = the daily parking rate ($7) plus a replacement fee ($3). (The fee for lost paper tickets was the daily rate of $7.)
Why are we doing this?
- The new digital chips are part of several improvements to parking at TBRHSC. Others include the addition of 128 parking spaces last year and another 300 opening soon, as well as reallocated staff parking spots to make closer spaces available to patients and visitors.