Grilling is King in New Zealand and Ontario
THUNDER BAY – FOOD NOW – New Zealanders love their beef as much as their lamb. Here is a popular recipe using a dry rub to flavour steak, which is then served over a base of herb-grilled sweet potatoes, sweet peppers and topped with grilled onion.
When it comes to food, Ontario has a lot in common with New Zealand. We both graduated from traditional British fare to an explosion of international flavours, we’re strong meat and dairy producers and we love local, seasonal ingredients, especially fresh summer fruit.
Since grilling is king Down Under, where beef is just as popular as lamb, be sure to try our Steak with Sweet Peppers, Sweet Potatoes and Red Onion, all produced locally. Smoked paprika and chili powder add flavour to the beef, while grilling brings out the natural sweetness of the vegetables.
Foodland Ontario Recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Refrigeration Time: 1 to 24 hours
Grilling Time: 12 to 18 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each packed brown sugar and salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each garlic powder, paprika and dried thyme
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika or chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dry mustard and coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 Ontario Beef Tenderloin or Rib-Eye Steaks (each about 6 oz/175 g), about 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Rosemary
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) seasoning salt
- 1 to 2 large Ontario Sweet Potatoes (1-1/2 lb/750 g)
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Peppers (1 red, 1 yellow or orange)
- 1 large Ontario Red Onion, sliced into thick rings
- 4 tsp (20 mL) vegetable oil for brushing
Steak Rub: In small bowl, mix together brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, chili powder, smoked paprika, mustard and pepper. Press rub generously onto both sides of steaks; place on plate and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
In medium bowl, mix together olive oil, rosemary, garlic and seasoning salt. Peel and slice sweet potato crosswise about 1/4-inch (1 cm) thick; toss in rosemary oil to coat well. Cut peppers into 4 wedges. Slice onion 1/4-inch (1 cm) thick.
Place sweet potatoes, peppers and onions on greased grill over high heat. Grill covered, for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Place sweet potatoes, peppers and onions in separate bowls. Keep vegetables warm.
Reduce heat to medium-high; grill steaks for about 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until desired doneness. On each plate, place several slices of sweet potato, a wedge of each pepper, steak and top with onions. Garnish with rosemary, if desired.Nutritional Information:
Protein: 39 grams
Fat: 18 grams
Carbohydrate: 49 grams
Fibre: 6 grams
Sodium: 790 mg