These colourful beef fajitas are filled with fresh Ontario vegetables. Set out bowls of Ontario Boston Lettuce leaves, chopped tomato, shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack with Jalapeño cheese and sour cream or try the garlic sauce – and let the fiesta begin!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Grilling Time: 8 to 10 minutes
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) each chili powder and ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Beef Grilling Steak (strip loin or sirloin)
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus, trimmed and cut into quarters
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) sliced Ontario White and/or Cremini Mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 Ontario Onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 tsp (20 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 6 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
In small bowl, stir together chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper; rub into both sides of steak. In large bowl, combine asparagus, mushrooms, garlic, peppers, onion, oil and oregano. Stack tortillas and double wrap in foil.
Place steak on greased grill and vegetables in grilling basket over medium-high heat. Close lid and grill steak, turning once, until medium-rare, about 8 minutes. Transfer to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Grill vegetables, tossing occasionally, until tender-crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place tortillas on grill and warm through, about 3 minutes.
To serve, slice steak thinly across the grain. In bowl, combine steak, vegetables and cilantro (if using). Serve with warm tortillas and desired accompaniments.
Optional Garlic Sauce: In small bowl, combine 1 cup (250 mL) plain Balkan-style yogurt, 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice, 1 garlic clove, minced, and salt to taste. Makes 1 cup (250 mL).
- Protein: 24 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 34 grams
- Calories: 317
- Fibre: 5 grams