THUNDER BAY – Family fun is the order of the day as Fort William Historical Park celebrates Canada Day, Thursday, July 1st. Tasty birthday cake, games, contests, and loads of kids’ activities highlight Canada Day festivities.
Visitors can dress their patriotic best in competing for prizes in the Canadian Pride contest at 12:30 pm at the Great Hall. Visitors can also compete for prizes in the voyageur wrestling and log sawing contests. Kids can join in relay and potato sack races. It will be the Visitors versus Historical Characters for a good-natured tug-of-war at 1:00 pm. Canoe rides are also happening throughout the day.
Food items will be sold at the Cantine, Corn Stores and North Canoe Shed.
The canoe arrival at 2:00 pm accompanied by cannon and musket salutes will serve as a prelude to everyone singing O Canada at 2:10 pm at the Great Hall.
Everyone can line up for a serving of Canada Day birthday cake beginning at 2:20 p.m.
Rounding out the day are children’s crafts, face painting, and children’s games. Visitors can lend a hand on the pumpers during the fire engine drill at 4 pm. Live entertainment will also be featured at select times featuring the Kam Valley Fiddlers, Glen Paterson and Mike Kivari.
Everyone is invited to celebrate Canada Day at Fort William Historical Park, Thursday, July 1st. The Fort is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Discount Admission: Adults $7.50, Youth 6-12 $5.00, Children 2-5 $3.75, Infants free.
Canada Day Activities
Fort William Historical Park
Thursday, July 1, 2010
10 am to 5 pm
Activity Times Location
- Children’s Beading and Hand Games 10 – 5 Main Square
- Children’s Crafts: Streamers, Pins 10 – 5 East House
- Face Painting 10 – 5 East House
- Children’s Games: relay, potato sack races 10 – 5 Canoe Yard
- Kam Valley Fiddlers 10 am Main Square
- Canoe Rides 10:30 – 1:30 & 2:30 – 4 pm Wharf
- Mike Kivari—entertainer 12 pm Main Square
- Voyageur Wrestling Contest 12:15 Main Square
- Canadian Pride Contest 12:30 pm Great Hall
- Tug of War Visitors vs Historic Characters 1:00 pm Main Square
- Song & Dance 1:30 pm Wharf
- Grand Arrival, procession & Singing O Canada 2:10 pm Wharf & Gt Hall
- Welcome Remarks 2:15 pm Great Hall
- Canada Day Birthday Cake 2:20 – 3:20 Main Square
- Glen Paterson 3 – 3:30 Main Square
- Log Sawing Contest 3:30 pm Trades Square
- Children’s Muster Wooden Rifles 3:30 pm Trades Square
- Fire Engine Demonstration 4 pm Historic Kitchen
For more information, please visit our website at www.fwhp.ca.